1. Denial - The permanent state of longtime Chicago residents: "This is nothing. When I was a kid, we played outside until it hit 40 below."
2. Profanity -Why the fuck do I live here? Why the fuck does anyone live here? I fucking hate everyone in fucking February.
3. Bargaining - The Lord & Taylor Clearance Center boot sale: At these temperatures can you really own too many pairs?
4. Soup Making - Is there anything better than avgolemono? Other than airfare?
5. Resignation - Also known as "freedom from layering." What is the point of dressing like the Michelin tire man? I will never be warm again...
Photo by Rick McCawley
The photo accompanying this post is priceless...or as an old high school friend on FB says...'This photo is pricelist.' And who am I to make fun? She was right. It really was pricelist.
Living in Germany gives me full priviledges to agree with everything you've said here.
And I resent that you think I've had to look up the spelling of 'priviledges.' Rude. Even after two glasses (hahaha...three) of wine I can spell just fine.)
Posted by: eurolush | January 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM
You've given it a little something extra. An edge, even. And that, of course, is pricelist.
Posted by: Suburban Kamikaze | January 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM
As you may recall - once your synapses thaw - the stages down here are a little different:
2. Deep closet jacket rescue
3. Pressure cleaning
4. Window opening
Posted by: Suburban Sheepdog | January 21, 2011 at 06:37 PM
I remember. I had to carry a little sweater everywhere.
Posted by: Suburban Kamikaze | January 21, 2011 at 06:54 PM
Photo credit needed. Absolutely pricelist! Of course the five stages of winter here are a bit different.
3. Chilly? Get a jacket, no, false alarm. Hot
I don't even own boots. Tedious, really.
Posted by: nthnglsts | January 22, 2011 at 07:13 AM
A Rick McCawley photo of course. His glass is always half full.
Posted by: Suburban Kamikaze | January 22, 2011 at 07:48 AM
I am in the profanity stage this weekend, as my son's new basketball hoop was just delivered yesterday afternoon and needs assembling NOW NOW NOW, and my husband is out of town until tonight, and today's high will be 12, and even in our garage with the door closed, that does not translate to anything like comfortable, and so when you hear swearing, just know it is me, swearing at the screwdriver that refuses to do its job while being held by mittens.
Posted by: MommyTime | January 23, 2011 at 05:18 AM
Is it too late to comment?
I am so impressed with you. Even your wine drinking has gone green. The earth just went one degree colder b/c of you even while you deny winter.
Posted by: Audubon Ron | January 23, 2011 at 05:45 AM